Sunday, March 29, 2009

 Monument Avenue 10K  
Gary ran in the Monument Ave. 10K again this
 year.  This is one of the biggest races in the country (32,000 participants this year) and a BIG deal in our community.  Gary organized a training schedule for people in the ward and got a bunch of people to participate.   It is a fun race down Monument Ave. past the statues and memorials.  I love the old houses with the cool architecture.  They have lots of live bands playing and a contest for those who run dressed up in costume.   I stayed in bed until he left (thinking that we weren't coming to watch) and then the kids and I jumped up and got down town to surprise him.  We waited at the statue of Lee and the kids gave him a high 5 on his way past.  I like to think that his P.R. (a full 3 min.faster than last year) w
as due to his surprise at seeing us.  It may have been due to all of the training he's been doing, but I like to take credit for it!  
Runners go up Monument and back down, so we got to see Gary early in the race and then near the end.  
Almost done with the race...
Our neighbors cheered their dad on, too.  Their kids and mom ran in the fun run (1 mile) before the race.  





Ms. PacMan - runners dressed up like a banana, Ms. PacMan and the ghosts chasing her.  











The kids loved this guy!  He ran as Indiana Jones - pulling the huge boulder that was "chasing" him the whole way!   
The costumes were fun - Robert Palmer & his back up girls w/guitars; Batman; etc.  



     




 Gary met up with us after the race.  He was tired, but pleased with his performance.  










This is the side of Lee that he likes to show to us Yankees!  We talked about who he was and why there was a huge statue.  I later heard Grace point to the statue and tell her friend "That guy was a BAD GUY but they still made a statue out of him because the South is weird."  I didn't put it that way, but I couldn't disagree too much!  Sorry Richmonders!  

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like a super fun day. Bodie was so bummed that he didn't run with G. The marathon got canceled due to an ice and snow storm............it is almost April, in case anyone is keeping track. Congrats G! Good race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the south is weird!

    love the costumes of the runners. Nice job on the run g. Miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather your commentary always cracks me up! Good job on getting out of bed to surprise G too! And of course a big pat on the bum to Gary for actually running...and liking it!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read Grace's comment aloud to my in-laws . . .who are from Kentucky. We had a good laugh. What a funny girl!

    ReplyDelete